This idea is a follow-up to an existing idea what was already implemented:
The previous idea implemented in 2018 R2 is a huge improvement to how Generic Inquiries get exported to Excel.
But, in the spirit of continuous innovation, let's see if we can make it even better.
Here are two additional ideas to make the export of Generic Inquiry data to Excel even better:
- Format the data on the Data worksheet as an Excel table automatically. This can be manually done in Excel with this option (but it would be nice if it automatically happened):
- Don't just bring the data into Excel, but also include the OData connection so the data can be refreshed from Excel over the OData connection without having to re-export from Acumatica.
Some things to consider about #2 above:
- There is an "old way" to connect to data sources from Excel and a "new way". The "new way" used to require the installation of a free add-in from Microsoft called Power Query. Now the "new way" is automatically included in Excel 2016.
- I'm not sure if the export from Acumatica could detect the user's version of Excel (I'm doubtful that it could).
- My preference would be to use the "new way" to setup the OData connection and everyone would just know that they couldn't refresh the data in Excel versions prior to Excel 2016.
- To use the "new way" in Excel 2016, you go to Data -> Get Data -> From Other Sources -> From OData Feed like this: